Thursday, June 4, 2009

Moscow Summer Camp, Day 4

From Alison:
Today is the fourth weekday without any school for Sasha. She had the option to go to day camp, but we could not motivate ourselves to make the 45 minute trek to her school for another week. Plus, she simply did not want to go. When her preschool ended last year in California, she was bawling. This year, simply no reaction. She was truly glad to be done. I can relate: great experience, time to move on.

We started the week's festivities with a trip to the Bolshoi, just mommy/daughter date, to see the Nutcracker. Sasha's favorite DVD right now is Barbie Nutcracker, so I figured, this is going to be a great jumping off point to many more mommy/daughter ballet adventures. Clearly, my expectation were too high.

After spilling chocolate sauce all over a white dress I stupidly agreed to buy her to initiate her into the world of ballet appreciation, Sasha began to yell and cry. This was at the the Scholode cafe across from the theatre. Not a good sign, but I went forward, ever optimistic. She refused to watch the parade of women and girls in their prettiest frocks entering the theatre. OK, I thought, that's one of my favorite thing, but hey, maybe not her cup of tea. We moved to our seats - fifth row center, orchestra. I pinched myself as the LIVE orchestra began to play. I am in Moscow, watching the Bolshoi, listening to Tchaikovsky.

And then the fun started. She would not stop talking. For a minute. Not even when the German lady next to her shh'd her. She would not stop moving and fidgeting. And - whistling - right along with the orchestra. She even shouted "hey, that's not supposed to happen now." I tried everything to engage her. I threatened. I pleaded. I slumped in my seat, a luckless wretch, while the annoyed stares of our seatmates bored into my back like laser beams.

I sadly realized that the amazing costumes and matching headpieces, the exquisite corps de ballet, and expensive tickets were all wasted on her - my chocolate spattered daughter was unable to sit through the most kid friendly ballet in existence. I practically wept in frustration as I dragged her out of the theatre at intermission and into the Metro. I will not recount here the conversation she and I had on the ride home.

No comments: