Friday, May 8, 2009

I, Yoda - Mom Tips

It was inevitable that at some point in the journey, we would become the sought after experts. We have been approached by several new Fulbrighters and expats-to-be. I identify with the panic in their emails - that was me back in January.

So to all those would-be Muscovites with small kids, whether by choice or not, I have prepared this random list. Or is you aren't planning to come, you can read along and think "boy am I lucky to live in America."

1. Yes, Moscow is hideously expensive. Yes, you can buy most of what you need, but it will be expensive and hard to find. Target is not in Russia.

2. Staying warm during the long Russian winter. Buildings are extremely overheated so leave your bulky sweaters at home and bring lots of T shirts. In Feb & March, you will be sweating as never before. People run their air conditioners in the winter here!

== > Go to landsend.com and buy your kids the heaviest weight jackets and pants. While on the site, buy 4-6 pairs of mittens in the same color and same design per child. Kids lose their mittens. Mittens are not easily found here. For adults, you can buy warm coats here - women wear fur on the Metro - but they will be expensive. If you have a fur coats lurking in the closet, this is the time to wear bring it out - apologies to PETA. You will thank me one freezing morning for this advice.

3. Bring along your favorite cosmetics and anything you truly love from Walgreens this includes toothpaste and artificial sweetener. Peanut butter is available, but if you want organic Trader Joe's brand, bring it. Lots of it.

4. You are about to become a sherpa extraordinaire.

== > Go the Container Store and buy the lightweight, foldable nylon bags. You will be using this bag for everything. While you're there, consider the gallon Brita filter container to ship over. There is no recycling in Moscow, you shouldn't drink the tap and it's a major drag to schlep huge bottles of water up to your apartment.

5. Schools - we never really figured this out particularly well. The best "advice" I can give: live close to your school and make your working spouse commute a longer distance. On Feb 6th, when you haven't seen the sun for six weeks and it's icy and bitterly cold, you will thank me for this advice as well. Of course you will be cursing Moscow by that point and forget all about me, but I understand.

6. Language. Russians do not speak or read English - well the youngins do, but they're too busy smoking and drinking to help you out. Do yourself a BIG favor. Invest in at least 10 tutor led sessions. From a Muscovite if at all possible. You do not want to land here an illiterate. If you cannot read Cyrillic, you best learn how before you arrive. Street signs, food packaging and everything else is in Cyrillic. See our previous blog on eating *liver* pancakes when we thought it was *potato.*

The Russians have been doing it this way since the 8th century and they don't give a damn what you think.

7. Join AWO - American Women's Org. These are a great group of women, most professional expats. They have special interest groups, are very open & friendly and are know where to get everything from a good obstetrician to aluminiun foil. They are empathetic and have really saved me. They drink wine at lunch, what more do you need to know?

8. Relax about medical care. If I could, I would bring my Moscow doctor home with me, he's fantastic. The new moms tell me their birthing experience was better here than in the US. This is another reason to join AWO.

9. Also relax about "maintenance issues." Russian woman know all about mani-pedis, hair color, cuts, etc. It can be a fortune, but they are experts and will not rush through your appointment. And it's possible to find an English speaking salon.

10. Do not watch Dr. Zhivago before boarding the plane - you will only freak yourself out. Keep in mind it was published in 1957, but not in Russia until 1988. There is a reason for this.

Look out for tips for Men in an upcoming blog installment.

4 comments:

The Expatresse said...

I agree with everything you posted.

One helpful hint: get water delivered. I use Nestle (www.nestle-purelife.ru) and now I can order online (avoids having Russian speaker call for you to order). I pay the delivery guy. OR you can order through Sedmoi Continent (www.7cont.ru. I live 100 meters from a Sedmoi, but sometimes I don't want to carry the heavy stuff. I order milk, Coke, laundry soap, canned tomatoes, dishwashing liquid, cat litter . . . the heavy stuff.

Yes, it is weird wearing shorts and sleeveless shirts inside in the winter. I brought lots of sweaters/fleeces, but only need those when the heat has been turned off. Layers don't always work in winter either because it's HOT on the metro. I have a mink coat, but I bought a down-filled winter coat this year (here . . . @$200US . . . economic crisis helped) and it is so light! I recommend down.

The Expatresse said...

Oh, and the liver pancakes . . . LOL. Once The Spouse ordered, in Slovakia, something he thought was "baked" but instead featured liver. The words are VERY similar.

Makes for good stories, but not good dinners when you are hungry. :-)

The Expatresse said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alison and Larry said...

Yes, but Ketchup can cover up a liver pancake mistake. Dinner saved!