Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Some basic economic indicator thoughts



Our trip to buy Passover matza lead to yet another adventure. We located a synagogue guarded by Uzi-toting guards and metal detectors with a matza depot around the corner. The level of security at the syngogue was on par with places I've seen in Israel. I'm used to seeing metal detectors and guards at clearly Jewish establishments. But the Uzis and the bullet proof vests were a bit alarming.

Security aside, when I went to buy the matza, I found out it was about $1.25 for a kilo box. That's the cheapest I have ever seen. The price even surprised my mom.

I am frequently asked about prices here in the Russian capital. Moscow has the distinction of being the most expensive city in the world. But I would say the prices are the most *confusing* in the world. Some things are heavily subsidized, others are tarrifed, some just make no sense. A brief sampling:

Bread - good stuff we buy at the stand near the Metro: 30c a loaf
Milk - also good Russian brands: $1/liter
Gasoline - 50c/liter, so that's less than $2/gallon
Cappuccino, nice place: $10
Cappuccino, not so nice place like a Starbucks: $5-6
Latte, McDonalds: $2, small cup
Apples: $4/pound.
Sandwich, crappy quality: $10-15
Beer, decent Russian brand: $1 bottle (and may I say, a BIG bottle)
Vodka, - all I can say: cheaper than Coke, a lot cheaper
Candy bars, all imported: $1
Cheese: Russian brand $5/pound; cheddar: $8 half pound.
Copy of In Style magazine: $25

I have not seen Oprah magazine here, so can't report on that.



Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog


2 comments:

Kim said...

How does Russian cheese compare to, say, French Brie, or even a good old American Cheddar? I'm finally caught up on your adventure and incredibly jealous of your close proximity to such amazing art. Though I must admit that I enjoy living vicariously through you while enjoying 75 degree beach weather.

carol ginsburg said...

Have I told you how much I enjoy your blog. Skype is wonderful but this just brings us to Moscow. Mom and Dad